Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ya know I met Phil, Phillis and the Philettes...

Happy Groundhog Day everyone. What a strange tradition. The tradition boasts that if a hybernating animal casts its shadow, then winter will last another six weeks. Apparently, it is a German tradition held on February 2, the Christian holiday of Candlemas. I bring this up because ...

Back in January, my students talked me into having a small "party" on El Dia de Reyes, the day of the kings. It was explained to me that this was a festive day. It was a day to recieve presents and eat Rosca de Reyes, the kings' ring or crown. Inside this delicious sweet bread one places toys. Whoever cuts into the bread and finds a toy has to throw a party today, El Dia de la Candelaria. Today in class we had a great little gathering during seventh hour. We had tamales. The students that found the toys brought them in. Some had their moms make them. Some are great little chefs themselves. I made albondigas. Perhaps it wasn't as good as Mexican mom albondigas, but it was pretty good, and not bad for my first time.

Anyway. Last month like I said, I made this sweet bread. I just wanted to share some pics. We ate the bread for breakfast with milk. Oh! Mexico, you have such good food.

rosca de reyes - i feel so cultural
I made two of them. They were both this pretty.

making dough - is it me or...
Here I am stretching the dough. Is it me or...

No comments: