Thursday, May 1, 2014

21 Days of Happiness...



Our new counselor at school decided that a good bonding experience is a "21 Days of Happiness Challenge".  Each participant chose 5 items to do everyday for the first 21 days of May.  This is all based in the misconception* that it takes 21 days to build a habit.  Even though it looks more like 2-8 months for new habits to form, I am more than Happy to participate.  It is always good to start somewhere and I needed to start doing something.

The challenge lies in a point system.  For every daily "new habit" the participants achieve, a point is awarded.  We track our own points on a shared Google Sheet.  It is surely based on the honor system, but there is also accountability because we can all see what each person is doing daily.  At the end of the 21 days, whoever has the most points, wins.  What we win, I tuned out on that part, but the challenge to myself and the competition with my friends is what I liked about the idea.

I didn't choose easy daily tasks, but they aren't all that strenuous either. They all are for the betterment of my body and mind, which is how I get my Happy on.  Here are my 5 daily habits:
  • Walk briskly for 20 minutes, take a class at the Y or hit the gym for an hour.
  • Eat more whole and raw food and avoid white flour, refined sugar and processed foods
  • Drink a glass of water before and with every meal
  • Post or Blog daily progress or inspirational quote
  • Read / learn about something everyday
I already goofed on #2.  I made myself a cup of coffee this morning and put organic milk and sugar in.  I took one sip and remember my new endeavor.  I dumped the coffee.  I got to school and one of my students had brought me Starbucks with extra cream, a pump of vanilla and two raw sugars.  How could I say no to that?  I am drinking it currently with little guilt.  The universe obviously thought my morning coffee couldn't be avoided today.  No sugar in my coffee tomorrow then.

Yet, I am not completely off track my first day out of the gate.  I already checked off #5.  I was curious about this 21-days-to-form-a-habit concept and where it came from.  I found this article in the Huffington Post.  #LearnSomethingNew #changeisconstant


No comments: